March 30, 2016
So yesterday was rough. We found out that Rocco’s tumor has returned. It’s spread to his jaw. Poor guy!
Yesterday I was told the to call and speak to the oncologist (who is in the same building as the surgeon). She spoke to the surgeon and got to see Rocco yesterday while he was there. Ok, so anyway, I called to talk to her. I was told that I cant talk to her. I must make an appointment for an exam and consultation before she will share her ideas. Why? She already saw Rocco, already had a discussion with the surgeon. She probably wants me to try some new experimental drug or she wants to talk me into chemo/radiation or something. Or maybe they just want to get me for several hundred more dollars. We already spent a fortune, why cant she just talk to me on the phone???
I am not going down that road. The cancer has already spread. I know what that means. I dont want to put him through a bunch of treatments that will make him feel sick. Right now he is fine! His jaw is a little sore, but other than that he is doing great!
We have decided to just keep him comfortable and as happy as possible for as long as we can. The vet wants him to try steroids to see if that will halt the growth of the tumor, so we are going to start Prednisone in a few days. I just hope the side effects aren’t horrible. I know that it increases appetite, thirst and the dogs pant a lot, but hopefully that’s it.
The surgeon is also suggesting pain pills, which he doesn’t need yet, but may need if the tumor grows. It will be good to have them ready if he needs them. I am going to go after work to find raw goats milk – heard its great for dogs!